Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Newspaper headlines : "India has arrived..."

A day late but still...

Allah Rakha Rahman wins 2 oscars

I'm confused, why is it a matter of elation... I mean... yes it is a joyous occassion, but i don't think jai ho deserves the kinda credit it is getting... I mean it's just another song... the real rahman is missing in it...

I really want to ask Mr. Rahman,

Sir, of everything you've created so far... where do you place these songs "Jai ho" and "Sayya"... and does it really make you proud of your achievement through these songs...?

I mean... Roja... Bombay... Dil Se... Taal... Yuva... just to name a few, then there are so many regional movies...
I remember in year 2000... when I visited my relatives in Hyd., my youngest cousin, then 3 years old... was humming the words,"sakhiya...hahhaa haaa" and in the right tune... these words made me fall for the song... these exact three songs... I made my cousin bro... hunt for this album... we'd visited nearly 60+ music stores in the city before we could find one which didn't go out of stock for this movie "Sakhi"... "Alaiyapayuthe" in tamil... and I'd play this day in and day out in my college hostel... few who had the patience... fell in love with the music and made copies of the cassette... and the others who were intolerant cause of the language barried/ mental blockage cause of this album being in telegu... I only shushed them by asking them to wait until this comes out in hindi... (to be honest, I had no clue then that the movie would come out in hindi... for that matter I hadn't seen the movie in Telegu until early 2002... but yet something inside me kept saying... we going to have a hindi version of this movie for sure)... and in 2003, "Saathiya" released... do I need to say more...

There are more movies which got "hit" cause of his music in it... than cause of the content in the movie...

with all due credit... Mr Rahman... you are next to god... when it comes to create music... but to be fair... slumdog... is definitely not your best shot... and all u Westerners/Indians... who are praising him for that... or who disagree with me on this... suck it up...

anyways though "slumdog" bagged 8 oscars... I still stand by my verdict... the movie is utter crap and waste of time... and yes, I am biased in my opinion as it shows India in a colored perspective... the color the whites like to see... and not the reality...

All this while I've been thinking...
Is oscar all that we wanted... I am still to figure out an answer to this.. does it really matter... is our work, if unappreaciated by a foriegn body (in this case a selfcentric US body) doesn't recognises it... then does it mean we've done any less of a great job... taare zameen par wasn't recognised at oscars... Roja wasn't... Lagaan couldn't... I mean why is it such a deal for us to be recognised by the whites... don't you think with nearly 100years (first movie was in 1913, so precisely 95 years of age) into film making we are in a position to command the respect already without being recognised by any other external body... and this doesn't limit to the moviedom... but across sectors, both in horizontal and vertical dimensions... we are still seeking acceptance and recognition...

why?

No comments:

ROCK ON!!!!!!!!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones